I know its been long since I posted something. To compensate with this delay, I have come up with something which is really useful for students/IT professionals who want to gain an overview about the services offered by Amazon Web Services.
AWS Global Infrastructure:
Region is a geographical area. Each region consists of 2 (or more) availability zones. An availability zone(AZ) is a data center. Edge location is endpoint for AWS which is used for caching content. Typically this contains cloudfront, amazon’s content delivery network(CDN)
- EC2: Elastic compute cloud is a web service used to launch virtual machines
- EC2 container service: This service is used to manage docker containers at scale
- Elastic beanstalk: An orchestration service which is used to deploy and scale web applications
- Lambda: helps you to run your script without the need to provision or manage servers
- Lightsail: A Virtual private service which provisions us with server and assigns a fixed IP address and it also provides shared hosting
- Batch: used for batch computing
- S3: A simple storage service used to store either images, files in the form of objects
- EFS: Elastic File system is used to create a file system, mount it on an Amazon EC2 instance and then read/write data to and from your file system
- Glacier: This service is mostly used for data archival
- Snowball: Used to transfer large amounts of data into data center physically
- Storage gateway: They are virtual machines which you install in data centers and useful for replicating information back to S3
- RDS: Relational database service makes it easy to set up, operate and scale a relational database in the cloud.
- Dynamo DB: A fast and flexible Non relational Database
- Elastic cache: A web service that makes it easy to deploy, operate, and scale an in-memory data store or cache in the cloud. The service improves the performance of web applications by allowing you to retrieve information from fast, managed, in-memory data stores, instead of relying entirely on slower disk-based databases.
- Red Shift: A fully managed data warehouse that makes it simple to analyze all your data using standard SQL and your BI tools.
- AWS Migration Hub: A tracking service and it helps you track the applications as you migrate to AWS and integrates with other services within the migration framework
- Application discovery service: contains automated set of tools. It helps enterprise customers plan migration projects by gathering information about their on-premises data centers
- Database migration service: used to migrate on premise database to AWS
- Server migration service: migrate virtual and physical service to AWS
- Snowball: used for migrating TB of data into AWS
AWS Networking and content delivery:
- VPC: Virtual private cloud lets us provision a logically isolated section of the AWS Cloud where you can launch AWS resources in a virtual network.
- Cloud front : A global content delivery network service that securely delivers data, videos, applications and APIs to your viewers with low latency and high transfer speeds.
- Route 53: Amazon’s DNS service.
- API Gateway: provides a way to create, manage, publish, maintain, monitor and secure APIs at any scale.
- Direct connect: makes it easy to establish a dedicated network connection from your premises to AWS.
AWS Developer tools:
- Code Star: provides an user interface enabling you to easily manage your software development activities in one place. Codestar makes it easy for whole team to work together securely hence enabling you to quickly deploy, develop and build applications on AWS
- Code Commit: source code storage and version control service for AWS public cloud customers. Helps with CI and application delivery.
- Code build: once the code is ready then code build compiles and runs the test cases against the code to build packages which are ready to deploy.
- Code deploy: deployment service used to deploy code to EC2 and lambda functions
- Code pipeline: is a CD and CI service for fast and reliable application and infrastructure updates. Based on release process models, it builds, tests and deploys code every time there is a code change
- X-Ray: used to debug and analyze serverless applications
- Cloud 9: An IDE environment and the place where code can be developed inside AWS console.
AWS Management Tools:
- Cloudwatch: A monitoring service for AWS cloud resources and the applications you run on AWS
- Cloud formation: Provides a common language for you to describe and provision all the infrastructure resources in your cloud environment
- Cloud trail: A logging service which logs every action performed in AWS console. It stores information for one week. Helpful to recover from hacks.
- Config: monitors configuration of entire AWS environment and has point-in-snapshots
- Opsworks: similar to Elastic Bean stalk (uses chef and puppet) for automating the environment
- Service catalog: allows organization to create and manage catalogs of IT services that are provided for use on AWS
- Systems manager: provides visibility and control of your infrastructure. It helps you to group resources like EC2 instances, S3 buckets, or RDS instances by application, view operational data for monitoring and troubleshooting and take action on your group of resources.
- Trusted advisor: online resource to help you reduce cost, increase performance and improve security by optimizing AWS environment
- Managed services: provides management of AWS infrastructure so you can focus on your applications.
AWS Media services:
- Elastic transcoder: Used for Media transcoding in the cloud. Converts media files from source format into versions that playback on devices like android, iphone.,,
- Mediaconvert: A file-based video transcoding service with broadcast-grade features. It allows you to easily create video-on-demand (VOD) content for broadcast and multiscreen delivery at scale.
- Medialive: live video processing service
- Mediapackage: it protects and prepares your video for delivery over internet.
- Mediastore: An AWS storage service optimized for media
- Media tailor: Used by video providers insert individually targeted advertising into their video streams without sacrificing broadcast level quality of service
AWS Machine learning
- SageMaker: used by developers to use deeplearning
- Comprehend: A NLP service that uses machine learning to find insights and relationships in text
- Deeplens : lets you run deeplearning models locally on the camera and take action on what it sees
- Lex: Service for building conversational interfaces into any application using voice and text
- Polly: converts text input into voice output
- Rekognition: makes it easy to add image and video analysis to your applications.
- Amazon translate: Translates english into other languages
- Amazon transcribe: Auto speech recognition service that makes it easy for developers to add speech-to-text capability to their applications
- Athena: An interactive query service that makes it easy to analyze data in S3 using standard SQL
- EMR: Elastic Map Reduce is a web service that uses Hadoop, an open-source framework, to quickly & cost-effectively process vast amounts of data
- Cloud Search: search service for AWS
- Elastic search service:search service for AWS
- Kinesis: makes it easy to collect, process and analyze real time, streaming data so you can get timely insights and react quickly to new information
- Kinesis video streams: makes it easy to securely stream video for connected devices to AWS for analytics, machine learning and other processing.
- QuickSight: A fast, cloud powered BI service that makes it easy to build visualizations, perform ad-hoc analysis and quickly get business insights from your data
- Pipeline: A web service that helps you reliably process and move data between different AWS Compute and storage devices
- Glue: A fully managed extract, transform and load service (ETL) that makes it easy for customers to prepare and load their data for analytics
AWS Security and identity and compliance:
- IAM: Enables you to manage access to AWS services and resources securely. It allows you to create and manage AWS users and groups and use permissions to allow and deny their access to AWS resources
- Cognito: allows you to add user sign-up and access control to your web and mobile apps quickly and easily
- Guard duty: Monitors for malicious activity on AWS account
- Inspector : An automated security assessment service that helps improve security and compliance of applications deployed on AWS
- Macie: scans S3 buckets and looks for personally identified information(PII) for alerting you
- Certificate Manager: used to manage SSL certificates
- CloudHSM: a cloud based hardware security module(HSM) that enables you to easily generate and use your own encryption keys on AWS cloud.
- Directory service: enables your directory aware workloads and AWS resources to use managed Active directory in the AWS cloud
- Web Application Firewall(WAF): helps protect your web applications from common web exploits that could affect application availability, compromise security or consume excessive resources
- Shield: Managed distributed denial of service(DDOS) protection service that safeguards applications running on AWS.
- Artifact: provides on-demand access to AWS security and compliance reports and select online agreements
AWS Mobile Services:
- Mobile Hub: A collection of AWS tools designed to help developers build, test, configure and release cloud based applications for mobile devices
- Pinpoint: helps you engage with the customers by sending email, SMS and mobile push messages.
- Appsync: This service automatically updates the data in web and mobile applications in real time, and updates data for offline users as soon as they reconnect.
- Device farm: An app testing service that lets you test and interact with your Android, IOS and web apps on many devices at once or reproduce issues on a device in real time
- Mobile analytics: Mobile analytics is now a part of AWS Pinpoint
Amazon Sumerian lets you create and run virtual reality (VR), augmented reality (AR), and 3D applications quickly and easily without requiring any specialized programming or 3D graphics expertise.
AWS Application Integration:
- Step Functions: A web service that enables you to coordinate the components of distributed applications and microservices using visual workflows.
- Amazon MQ: A managed message broker service for Apache ActiveMQ that makes it easy to set up and operate message brokers in cloud.
- SNS: Simple Notification Service is a flexible, fully managed pub/sub messaging and mobile notifications service for coordinating the delivery of messages to subscribing endpoints and clients.
- SQS: Simple Queue Service (SQS) is a fully managed message queuing service that enables you to decouple and scale microservices, distributed systems, and serverless applications.
- SWF: Simple workflow service makes it easy to build applications that use Amazon’s cloud to coordinate work across distributed components
AWS Customer Engagement:
- Connect: It is a self-service, cloud based contact center service that makes it easy for any business to deliver better customer service at lower cost.
- Simple Email Service: It is a cloud based email sending service designed to help digital marketers and application developers send marketing, notification and transactional emails.
AWS Business Productivity:
- Alexa for Business: helps by being voice assistant at work
- Chime: is a communications service that you can use for online meetings, video conferencing, calls, chat and to share content, both inside and outside your organisation.
- Work Docs: used to store and share files.
- Work Mail: It is a secure, managed business email and calendar service with support for existing desktop and mobile email client applications
AWS Desktop and App Streaming:
- Workspaces: It is a secure cloud desktop service which can be used to provision either windows or Linux desktops in just a few minutes and quickly scale to provide thousands of workers.
- AppStream 2.0: It is a fully managed, secure application streaming service that allows you to stream desktop applications from AWS to an HTML5 browser, without rewriting them.
AWS Internet of Things:
- ioT: It connects physical world to the Internet so that you can use data from devices to increase productivity and efficiency.
- ioT device management: It makes it easy to securely onboard, organize, monitor and remotely manage IOT devices at scale.
- Free RTOS: An operating system for microcontrollers that makes small, low power edge devices easy to program, deploy, secure, connect and manage
- Green grass: Software that lets you run local compute, messaging,data caching, sync and ML inference capabilities for connected devices in a secure way.
AWS Game Development:
- GameLift: It is used to deploy, scale, and manage your dedicated game servers in the cloud, delivering low-latency, fun and reliable gaming experiences to your players around the world
I will make sure to update this page as and when they are introduced..
Happy reading 🙂